Vipers' Florida ties are strong
PLANT CITY, Fla. -- When the Vipers kick off their season against the Guardians on Sunday Feb. 9th (@ New York, 2pm ET, FOX), one thing will be immediately clear: this is truly a Florida team.
23 players on the active roster are either originally from Florida or played college football in the state.
Here's a brief snapshot of those players:
- Marcelis Branch (safety) is from Homestead and attended Robert Morris.
- Mack Brown (running back) attended the University of Florida, appearing in 49 games, before going onto join the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings.
- Bryce Canady (safety) is from Jacksonville and attended Florida International University.
- Stacy Coley (wide receiver) is from Pompano Beach and played at University of Miami where he finished his career with the second-most receiving yards in school history.
- Ryan Davis (wide receiver) grew up in St. Petersburg before attending Auburn University, where he finished he career with the most receptions in school history.
- Quinton Flowers (quarterback/running back) grew up in Miami and set several school records at the University of South Florida before joining the Cincinnati Bengals.
- DeAndre Goolsby (tight end) played four seasons at the University of Florida.
- Rannell Hall (cornerback) hails from Miami and attended the University of Central Florida before joining the Cleveland Browns.
- Martez Ivey (offensive tackle/guard) was born in Apopka and attended the University of Florida before joining that New England Patriots.
- CeCe Jefferson (defensive tackle) is from Glen St. Mary and played for University of Florida.
- Shelton Lewis (cornerback) is from Orlando and played for Florida Atlantic.
- Chase Litton (quarterback) was born in Winter Park and attended Wharton High School before going on to join the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Marquis Lucas (offensive guard/tackle) grew up in Miami and played on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' practice squad.
- Jordan McCray (offensive center/guard) is Miami and attended the University of Central Florida where he made the All-American Athletic Conference First Team.
- Tarvarus McFadden (cornerback) comes from Ft. Lauderdale and attended American Heritage High School in Plantation before played for Florida State.
- Deiontrez Mount (defensive end) is a Pensacola native who played for the Tennessee Titans, Indianapolis Colts and Denver Broncos.
- Aaron Murray (quarterback) is a Tampa native, attending Jesuit High School before transferring to Plant where he won a state championship. He became the SEC's all-time passing touchdown leader at Georgia.
- Reggie Northrup* (linebacker) grew up in Jacksonville and played for Florida State.
- Jacques Patrick (running back) was born in Orlando and played for Florida State.
- Terrance Plummer (linebacker) grew up in Orange Park before attending the University of South Florida. He went onto join the Washington Redskins.
- Robert Priester (defensive back) grew up in Tampa and attended Robinson High School.
- Bobby Richardson (defensive lineman) grew up in Tampa, graduated from Plant High School, and went onto play for the New Orleans Saints.
- Colin Thompson (tight end) played for the Unviersity of Florida after being rated the No. 2 tight end in the nation.
*Signed with team on January 31st