Week 2 Preview: Get to know the New York Guardians
The DC Defenders (1-0) return to Audi Field on Saturday, Feb,. 15 for Game 2 of the 2020 XFL regular season against the New York Guardians (1-0).
The Defenders opened the XFL season with a 31-19 win over the Seattle Dragons in front of a raucous crowd in Southwest Washington, D.C. in Week 1. The Guardians too were victorious in their first-ever game, defeating the Tampa Bay Vipers 23-3.
While the season is still very early and there is still a lot to learn about the teams and players, Week 2 is already shaping up to be a pivotal showdown in the East.
Get to know the Defenders Week 2 opponents: The New York Guardians
KNOW YOUR OPPONENTS: New York Guardians
- Home Field: MetLife Stadium (82,500)
- Team Colors: Black, grey, red
- Team President: Janet Duch
- Head Coach: Kevin Gilbride
- Record: 1-0 (Defeated Tampa Bay Vipers 23-3)
Guardians head coach Kevin Gilbride is a familiar name in the East, as the Connecticut native has over three decade's experience as an NFL offensive coach, most notable as the QB coach and offensive coordinator for the New York Giants from 2004 to 2013.
In Week 1, the Guardians decimated the Tampa Bay Vipers thanks to a solid performance from quarterback Matt McGloin and a balanced passing attack. McGLoin finished the game 15 of 29 for 182 yards, a passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown. Five New York players hauled in at least two catches against Tampa Bay. Towson product Darius Victor led the Guardians on the ground with 32 yards on nine carries.
PLAYERS YOU MAY KNOW: New York Guardians
- #2 WR Joe Horn Jr., Missouri Western: Member of Ravens practice squad in 2019. Son of four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Joe Horn.
- #12 QB Marquise Williams, North Carolina: A three-year starter at UNC. Led the Tar Heels to the 2015 ACC Coastal Division title and a spot in the ACC Championship game. Played on the same team as Defenders CB Desmond Lawrence.
- #14 QB Matt McGloin, Penn State: A Three-year starter at Penn State and Honorable Mention Big Ten selection. Started six games for the Raiders in 2013 and one game in 2016. Played two seasons alongside Defenders WR DeAndre Thompkins at Penn State.
- #24 CB Ranthony Texada, TCU: Spent 2018 season with Redskins after signing as UDFA.
- #27 RB Darius Victor, Towson: From Hyattsville, Md. Went to Northwestern HS. Named 2013 CAA Rookie of the year.
- #33 S A.J. Hendy, Maryland: From Bowie, Md. Went to Bowie HS. Was ranked as the eighth-best recruit in the state of Maryland in 2010. Played one season alongside Defenders TE Derrick Hayward.
- #58 DT Bunmi Rotimi, Old Dominion: From Alexandria, Va. Attended West Potomac HS.
- #70 OT John Kling, Buffalo: Played alongside Defenders OC James O'Hagan at Buffalo in 2014. Signed with Redskins as UDFA in April of 2017.
- #88 TE EJ Bibbs, Iowa State. Signed by the Redskins in July of 2017, was released prior to start of 2017 season.
- #94 DT Joey Mbu, Houston. Born in Silver Spring, Md. before relocating to Texas. Signed to the Redskins practice squad in October of 2016. Was waived by Redskins in September of 2017.
- #99 DT Cavon Walker, Maryland. From Washington, D.C., went to Friendship Collegiate HS. Named to Second Team All-Met by Washington Post. Played four seasons alongside Defenders TE Derrick Hayward.